Additional Resources

Michigan Special Education Due Process Request Model Form  This form may be
used to submit a request for a due process hearing to resolve a disagreement
about the identification, evaluation, eligibility, educational placement, or
manifestation determination of a student.

Michigan Special Education Model Complaint Form   This form may be used to
submit a complaint alleging that a school district/agency has violated state/federal
special education rules or laws.  

Transition Individualized Education Program Form  Including Post-School
Transition Considerations.  (Required for students 16 years of age during the IEP
year and recommended for students 13 years and over)

Individualized Education Program Form
(This document does not contain the transition components)

Addendum to the Individualized Education Program
Form and Manual

Manifestation Determination Review Form  This form is used to investigate
behaviors in disabled children.

Interim Alternative Educational Setting Form  Complete this form for students who
are considered for a temporary alternative educational setting.

No Child Left Behind - A Parent's Guide

Social Security Resources
Social Security Disability FAQs  
A list of common questions and answers well written and copyrighted by
NOSSCR past president Charles T. Hall, Esq., located at the NOSSCR website.

SSA Handbook   
SSA's own summary of the most common and helpful information about all its

Michigan SSA Offices   
You can fax your local office or send a message through SSA's toll free number
(1-800-772-1213 or TTY 1-800-324-0778). Personal assistance is available
through SSA's toll free number, 7 to 7 EST, weekdays except holidays. The voice
mail system routes you according to the most common problem or information
areas and recorded messages are available 24 hours a day. Click
here to locate
SSA offices nationally.  

You can request a copy of your personal earnings and benefit estimate summary
(PEBES) on line. It will be mailed to you in about 2-3 weeks.  You can evaluate
your earnings record for correctness and get an estimate of how much your
retirement or disability benefit would be. If you think you may be leaving the
workforce due to disability sometime soon, just enter your future years' earnings
as "zero" and your current age as your retirement age to get an estimate of your
disability benefit based on your current record. If you have filed for disability
benefits already, for some unknown reason the PEBES will not give you a
disability benefit figure.

You can view SSA information on who is eligible for Medicare and general
information about Medicare benefits, including the new prescription plan, at SSA's
website. For the latest Medicare handbook, which includes details on Medicare
HMOs in Michigan, contact the Medicare help center at 1.800.633.4227 8:30 to
4:30 on weekdays. Staff can also help with questions and refer you to the state
Medicare administration if needed.

Here is information on the latest Medicare premium costs, SSI rates and income
limitations, and earnings limits for the disabled and retired.

SSA Program Rules  
This is a page of links to SSA law, regulations, policies and internal guidelines.

SSA Red Book on Work Programs
This is SSA's guide to current return to work rules and regulations for both SSDI
and SSI recipients. Because SSA sends you pamphlets on return to work
programs when you first receive your disability benefits, you may be found at fault
if SSA keeps sending you checks after your benefits should have stopped. The
rationale is that you should have known the additional checks were not yours to
keep. This can result in a hefty overpayment. Studying the "Red Book" can help
avoid return to work overpayment problems. Keep your original receipts for
employment related expenses used on your income tax schedule C to reduce
your 1099 gross or self employment income. Keep original receipts for any out of
pocket medical expenses or disability related special equipment you need to
enable you to work. SSA will need information such as this to help evaluate
whether your benefits continue or end if you perform work activity while receiving

SSA Blue Book  
This is SSA's Guide to evaluating the medical basis of disability. Individuals who
meet the criteria for a listed impairment are automatically found medically
disabled. Many of the criteria require there be "significant" or "marked" findings or
functional limitations associated with  impairments.  A judgment as to what is
significant or not can vary among SSA decision makers. If medical evidence does
not clearly show a person's impairments meet or equal those of a listed
impairment, SSA must then determine if a case can be allowed on medical and
vocational factors.

Medical Vocational Guidelines and Transferable Skills  
This is a technical but excellent summary by Administrative Law Judge Dennis G.
Katz explaining the Social Security disability sequential evaluation process.
Medical and vocational factors interact to direct certain conclusions when a
person's health problems alone do not meet SSA's listed medical impairment

Michigan Social Security Resources
Request Your Michigan Birth Certificate:  You must now show or send (they do
mail them back) an original or certified birth certificate to SSA before your benefits
will be processed to verify your age and citizenship. SSA will not accept a
photocopy. Contact either your
Michigan County Records Office or the Michigan
Community Health Department in Lansing for information about requesting your
Michigan birth certificate using the above link. Those born in Detroit can contact
Herman Keifer Health Department for information. If you were born in another
state, contact its vital records department.

Michigan Comnet:  A comprehensive guide to public and private non-profit human
and community service resources in Michigan searchable by agency and service,
such as health care, housing, food, medication, or by agency name.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services:  This 70+ year old agency's mission is to assist
individuals who have a mental or physical handicap with services needed to
obtain or keep a job. While counseling is always free, other services may be
provided based on client financial need, MRS budget and program constraints,
and counselor recommendations. Services may be as simple as providing a
hearing aid to assisting with a college education. MRS also helps both
employees and employers with information about ADA (Americans with
Disabilities Act) compliance. General state MRS offices can be located using the
link above. Individuals receiving SSI or SSDI are given service priority.

Michigan Mental Health Network:  This site lists mental health care providers and
support groups for S. E. and central Michigan.

Michigan Workers' Compensation:  The Bureau website includes information on
rights, responsibilities and regulations pertaining to Workers' Compensation in
Michigan. Also, The Michigan State AFL-CIO publishes an excellent summary,
"Workers' Compensation Rights" available from the MI AFL-CIO, 419 Washington
Square South, Suite 200, Lansing, MI 48933.

Michigan Insurance Commission:  The Commission oversees insurance sales
and claims adjusting in Michigan. Consumers can make inquiries about their
rights and file complaints with the Commission in matters involving long and
short term employer and private insurance benefits, health insurance, and no fault
auto accident insurance matters. This site includes a link to the Michigan No-Fault
Auto law. A verbal inquiry about no fault benefits is not the same as a written claim
for wage loss, medical care, medical transportation, replacement service and
vocational rehabilitation benefits. There is a one year statute of limitations on filing
claims and appealing denials with few exceptions. If you wait until year 3 to file for
wage loss or medical treatment mileage, for example, you may only be paid for
the 12 months before your claim. In Michigan, your wage loss benefits can be
reduced by federal benefits such as S.S. disability benefits.

Veteran's Resources
Veterans' Services: Information about emergency assistance, tuition grants, and
other programs is available through the state of Michigan. This site also contains
a link to county veterans offices.

Additional Resources
Detroit WIC Info

MI Commission for the Blind:  This agency provides employability and
independent living assistance through counseling and equipment and services to
Michiganers who are blind or have low vision.

Department of Human Services:  This agency administers programs such as food
stamps, state disability benefits, the state medical assistance and medicaid
Medical Social Work
Rehabilitation Management, LLC
Medical Social Work Rehabilitation
Management, LLC.
2 Farmington Rd.
Livonia, MI 48152
Ph: 734-513-4100
Fax: 734-513-0900